Friday 11 November 2011

A dull 11th November in Surrey

You might wonder what a Welshman residing in Surrey has anything to write about today in France?

Well the answer has two threads, the first is though I was born in Wales my paternal grandfather was French, and the second thread is that 200 yards from our house in Pirbright is the Commonwealth Graves Cemetry in Brookwood.

iht205d075.jpg
Gabriel Funning
In 1898 my Grandfather left Le Havre for South Wales eventually ending in the Vale of Neath at Resolven. With him came his mother and father, brother and sister and his two year old nephew Gabriel. Gabriel grew up in the Welsh community and from family tales could speak little French. Come 1914 because they had not become nationalised British, both he and his father were called up for the French Army.

On the 12th June 1918 he was due to come home on leave, when he met a British Soldier, who also came from Resolven, and they agreed to come home together a few days later. Sadly on the 13th June 1918 Gabriel was killed in action. For his bravery he was posthumously awarded the Croix de Guerre with a silver star  as the citation says for "leading an attack on enemy positions".
Mass grave at Mery-la Bataille where it is presumed Gabriel lays

Liz and I visited the graveyard at Mery la Bataille where he died, and found the mass grave where 251 unidentifiable bodies from Gabriel' s regiment lay.

So today I visited the French War Graves section at Brookwood Cemetry and proudly planted my poppy on a wooden cross in memory of Gabriel.
French wargraves at Brookwood Cemetry

The folly of war is illustrated by the fact that his grandfather who arrived from France with him was Prussian. Our surname originally had the German Umlaut over the "u" in our surname, and I have discovered that there were German "Funning" casualties in the mass slaughter that was the War to End all Wars!

8 comments:

  1. A moving tribute to your grandfather,and an interesting post.

    "We will remember them".......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the grandson of Laura Davies nee Williams originally from Cross St Resolven
      I believe she was engaged to Gabriel as I have heard these stories all my life and when Gabriel came home after the war they were to be married,
      as we know it wasn't to be I have many old photographs and have one of Gabriel in uniform it was not stamped but addressed to Laura in 2 Cross St Resolven unfortunately no date but was taken in "Gales studios"
      the message reads as following
      "What a hope we have got with this job"
      I would like you to mail me so I can send the photograph on
      Mike Davies
      Neath

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Gabriels photo click on the link
      https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eLjdax5szVU/UAPT0NJwFBI/AAAAAAAEDPo/Vte138SP_Po/s640/img005.jpg
      Mike

      Delete
    4. I came by these cards from Gabriel to my Nan Laura, one is dated Sep22nd no year my guess is 1914 https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4IaxgaMRjf8/UAP8n6T3Z7I/AAAAAAAEDQs/Ne6_wenzjus/s1024/crds.JPG
      Highlight the above links right click--open link
      Mike

      Delete
    5. Thanks Mike, thats tremendous. Is n't the power of the internet amazing,
      My father told me that Gabriel's father, his uncle William, had thrown Gabriel's Croixe de Guerre, away in his grief. Last year my cousin Linda Mulligan (nee Funning) was asked by her grandson about a project on the war he was doing in school. She looked in an old tin of her fathers and found the medal.
      As I said in the blog we visited the Somme a few years ago, looking for Gabriel's grave. We accepted that sadly he was one who didn't have a grave.
      A sad end for him and your Nan, unfortunately mirrored by so many others
      Kind regards
      Mike

      Delete
  2. Thanks for getting back to me Mike this means such a lot to me as I lost my dad20+ yrs ago & my mum last April that's when one finds a missing link in the chain and then it's trying to pick up the pieces I have lived with the stories of Gabriel all my life and he leaves a special place in my heart and also my wifes , it would have been wonderful to have met such a brave man, we have a silver bullet with the inscription "To Lol with love Gabe"
    as that is all he could inscribe on the bullet we cant place where it is but we most def have it, when we find it I will take a photo of it I also have a twin brother living in Pontneddfechan who I will most certainly share this valued information with,
    I live in Cadoxton not far from Valdo Funning he has to be a relation, if my nan married Gabriel I would have been related to you and Valdo, what a small world it is, does Linda live in Resolven I am 68 and if so went through Resolven school with her
    I know now that Gabreil's name is on the cenotaph in Resolven I will try and get a photo for you.
    will keep in touch
    Regards
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike
    I thought you would be interested in these photos of Resolven cenotaph which I took this morning, I understand it was many years before Gabriels name was put on
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vTbw_9CwN4U/UAUVOSiaMpI/AAAAAAAEDRs/deLT7KsobyU/s640/P1070988.JPG

    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AtdQ9ynrRQ4/UAUVyIodeyI/AAAAAAAEDR4/JiLkAB8j27o/s912/P1070989.JPG

    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1BkiWN-cYhM/UAUUxXYzCOI/AAAAAAAEDRk/V3zGvXcfJ7E/s1440/P1070987.JPG
    Highlight the above links right click--open link
    Mike

    ReplyDelete